What do I need to do to enter the UK?

The Ukraine Family Scheme allows family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK. It is free to apply and you can stay in the UK for up to 3 years. You will be able to live, work and study in the UK and access public funds.

To apply to the Ukraine Family Scheme you must: 

  • be applying to join or accompany your UK-based family member; and 
  • be Ukrainian or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national who is applying to the scheme; and 
  • have been residing in Ukraine on or immediately before 1 January 2022 (including those who have now left Ukraine) 

You can apply if you’ve already arrived in the UK and meet the requirements above. 

Your family member must be one of the following: 

  • a British national 
  • someone settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence 
  • someone from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland who has pre-settled status and started living in the UK before 1 January 2021 
  • someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK 

You must provide evidence that your UK-based family member is one of the following: 

  • an immediate family member (spouse or civil partner, unmarried partner (you must have been living together in a relationship for at least two years), child who is under 18, parent (if you are under 18) 
  • fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) 
  • an extended family member (parent (if you are over 18), child who is over 18, grandparent, grandchild or your partner’s grandchild, brother or sister, aunt or uncle, niece or nephew, cousin, mother-in-law or father-in-law, grandparent-in-law, brother-in-law or sister-in-law) 
  • an immediate family member of an extended family member

Other family members will be considered where there are exceptional circumstances. 

You will be asked to provide a copy of an official document that confirms your relationship to your UK-based family member. For example, a marriage or birth certificate if you have one. 
(Please note you can still apply if you are unable to provide this document, explaining why you are unable to do so.) 
Your application will be subject to security checks. 

You should apply online at:

If you hold a valid Ukrainian international passport or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp issued by the Ukrainian government, you will need to complete an application online, but you do not need to attend an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC) to give your biometric information.  

If you have them, you should also provide any documents that show: 

  • your relationship to your UK-based family member 
  • you were residing in Ukraine on or immediately before 1 January 2022 

Once your application has been processed you will receive an official permission letter from UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) confirming that you can travel to the UK. The permission letter will allow you to board a plane or other form of transport to the UK and you shouldn’t travel to the UK until you receive this letter. 

If you do not hold a valid Ukrainian international passport or you only have a Ukrainian domestic passport or ID card, you will need to book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre. 

You can call the free 24/7 helpline on +44 808 164 8810 (0808 164 8810 from within the UK) for help with any questions about the scheme. If you cannot contact UK 0808 numbers, please use +44 (0)175 390 7510. 

What support can I get under the Homes for Ukraine Scheme? 

From 18th March, a new scheme will offer a route to those who want to come to the UK who have someone here willing to provide them with a home. It will enable individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians, and their immediate family members. 

Sponsors will provide accommodation for as long as they are able, with a minimum expectation of 6 months. 

Someone is eligible for the scheme if they are a Ukrainian national or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national, and were resident in Ukraine prior to 1 January 2022. 

People arriving under this scheme will be able to: 

  • Live and work in the UK for up to three years 
  • Access healthcare, benefits, employment support, education, and English language tuition 

If you want to stay with a family that is familiar with diabetes, Diabetes UK may be able to help put you in touch. 

For more information about the Homes for Ukraine Scheme visit: https://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/

What support can I get if I am a person living with diabetes?

If you are eligible to come to the UK, then you will be entitled to healthcare provided by the National Health Service. This is free for most healthcare. You will need to register with a local General Practice surgery to access this.

You can find your nearest GPs by searching at:  https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-gp

People living with diabetes who are treated with insulin or medication can get all their prescriptions free of charge. People without diabetes will have to pay a charge for each drug prescribed in England – this is currently £9.35. Prescriptions in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are free for everyone.

For information on all aspects of diabetes you can visit the Diabetes UK website: www.diabetes.org.uk

Useful links and contacts

Homes for Ukraine Scheme

Visa applications 

Finding the nearest General Practitioner 

Helpline for questions about the Ukraine Family Scheme
+44 808 164 8810 
0808 164 8810 from within the UK
If you cannot contact UK 0808 numbers, please use +44 (0)175 390 7510 

International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) tables of equivalence between medicines registered in Ukraine and those available in other countries

Diabetes UK – The British Diabetic Association
Website: www.diabetes.org.uk
Email: helpline@diabetes.org.uk
Phone number: 0345 123 2399
(If you would like to speak in a language other than English, just call the helpline number and tell your name, telephone number and the language you wish to speak in. An interpreter will call you back within a few minutes).