What do I need to do when entering Portugal?

The Portuguese State has granted a temporary protection regime to people displaced from Ukraine, which waives the need for a visa. 

The temporary protection regime covers: 

  • Ukrainian citizens and their relatives who cannot return to their country due to the war situation 
  • citizens of other nationalities who are relatives, relations, spouses or unmarried partners of citizens of Ukrainian nationality who are also unable to return to Ukraine for the same reason 
  • any third-country nationals or stateless persons and their family members enjoying international protection in Ukraine 
  • any third country national or stateless person, residing in Ukraine, who is unable to return to his or her country of origin. 

The Temporary Protection Status includes the automatic granting of: 

  • Residence Permit 
  • Tax Identification Number (NIF) 
  • Social Security Identification Number (NISS) 
  • National Health Service (SNS) user number. 

These identification numbers give access to various services, such as health care in public facilities, enrolment in job offers, social protection, among others. 

How do I apply for temporary protection in Portugal?  

Applications for temporary protection are made through the SEFforUkraine.sef.pt portal (available in Portuguese, English and Ukrainian). The portal can only be used by people over the age of 18. 

Applications for temporary protection can also be made by filling out an online form, available in Portuguese, English and Ukrainian, on the Portuguese Diplomatic Portal

Requests for temporary protection can also be made in person at the National Centers for Support to Migrant Integration (CNAIM) in Lisbon, Porto and Faro and at some delegations of the Immigration and Border Service (SEF) with services dedicated to Ukrainian citizens, which are operating during extended hours. 

The protection has an initial duration of one year, which can be extended for another year, as long as the conditions preventing people from returning to their country continue to prevail. 

What support can I get when I enter the country? 

If you cannot afford a house in Portugal, you can ask for support from the High Commission for Migrations (ACM), which is working directly with Social Security to find accommodation for those in need. 

You can send an e-mail to sosucrania@acm.gov.pt or go to one of the three National Centers for Migrant Support (CNAIM) in Lisbon, Faro and Porto. 

You can also access the Urgent Accommodation Support Program

The Institute of Employment and Professional Training (IEFP) has created the “Portugal for Ukraine” platform, where companies can post job opportunities and the professional profiles they are looking for. Currently, more than 2 thousand job proposals have already been uploaded. 

What support can I get if I am a person living with diabetes? 

The identification numbers that you will be granted with the Temporary Protection Status in Portugal, will give you access to health care in public facilities.

APDP offers help to refugees with diabetes in Portugal

The Associação Protetora dos Diabéticos de Portugal (APDP) makes its specialized diabetes healthcare services available to all refugees living with diabetes who arrive in Portugal and need support, including reception, guidance and follow-up. Refugees arriving in Portugal will be able, through the APDP services, to receive medical consultations and all the necessary treatments for diabetes. To access these services, contact APDP at diabetes@apdp.pt

APDP helpline: 21 381 61 61 (available every day 9am to 5pm)
Email: diabetes@apdp.pt
Website: https://apdp.pt/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/apdpdiabetes/

Useful links

High Commission for Migration (ACM)

Portal Portugal for Ukraine

International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) tables of equivalence between medicines registered in Ukraine and those available in other countries

Information for people fleeing the war in Ukraine and entering the EU

Information on free travel options offered by European transport companies


Registration Line for issues related to documents and registrations
Dial 2 when you call 211 950 500 (workdays, from 9am to 5pm)

High Commission for Migration (ACM) – Providing information to people who want to enter Portugal, to Ukrainian citizens living in Portugal who want to bring their family to the country, and to anyone who wants to help .

Migrant Helpline and Telephone Translation Service (in Ukrainian)
+351 218 106 191
808 257 257 (from the fixed-line network in Portugal)
Monday to Friday, between 9am and 8pm, and Saturdays, from 9am to 5pm

Registeration of unaccompanied children arriving in Portugal

APDP helpline for specialised diabetes advice (available every day 9am to 5pm)
21 381 61 61