What do I need to do when entering Belgium? 

According to the EU Temporary Protection Directive, immediate and temporary protection is provided to refugees from Ukraine.  

You need to report in person at the registration centre at 8.30am to apply for temporary protection.   

To receive social assistance, you must first register for temporary protection status. It is therefore important to go to the registration centre in Heysel, then, to present yourself to the city where you live, before going to the Public Centre for Social Welfare (PCSW). 

What support can I get when I enter the country? 

If you don’t have any place to stay in Belgium (with friends or family), the Federal Agency for the reception of asylum seekers (Fedasil) will direct you to an accommodation offered by the municipalities of the country. 

What support can I get if I am a person living with diabetes?

After receiving your temporary protection certificate, you can register with a health fund, which will allow you to consult a general practitioner, dentist or another health care provider for medical care. 

If you are a person living with diabetes, you can consult a general practitioner who will treat you or refer you to the appropriate specialised care, if necessary. 

Useful links and contacts 

Government website providing information about Ukraine
+322 488 88 88 (Monday to Sunday from 9am to 5pm in French, English and Dutch)

Information about the Registration Centre

More information about medical care for Ukrainian refugees

Psychological support

International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) tables of equivalence between medicines registered in Ukraine and those available in other countries

Information on free travel options offered by European transport companies

Information for people fleeing the war in Ukraine and entering the EU

Medical care emergency numbers
101 or 112 

Diabetes Liga